The Turrettini family originally came
from the town of Lucca in Tuscany. They
found refuge in Geneva at the time of the Reformation in 1575.
Their name glittered on several occasions, particularly in the 17th
and 18th centuries thanks to Jean-Alphonse (1671-1737), pastor and
theology professor at the Academy, who adapted Calvin’s philosophies to the
age of enlightenment.
and tolerant, he promoted theological dialogue between philosophers and the new
sciences and he tried to bring closer together the various Protestant churches.
The Turrettini family distinguished
itself once again at the turn of the 19th and 20th
centuries, thanks to Théodore (1845-1916), a natural engineer. Director of the Geneva Society of Physics Instruments, he was president of the 1896 National
Exhibition committee. Geneva owes
this man, who became member of the Great Council and National Councillor, Forces
Motrices Plant (Usine des forces motrices) and the Coulouvrenière Bridge.